Friday, March 4, 2011

Quinoa Casserole


Have you tried this grain yet?  If you haven't,  you should.  It's kinda like rice, only better.  I'm pretty sure that Quinoa is one of those "super foods."  Not only is it 100% whole grain - not a refined grain - but it is also a complete protein.  How great is that?  So, unlike rice, you don't have to mix it with beans or something to make the protein complete. 

Here I am, talking about nutrition stuff as though I know all about it.  I know a little...but I wish I knew more.  If I could go back in time and re-do college, I think that I would become a nutritional anthropologist.  That would be the coolest job EVER.

I might do some studying on my own and pick that up as a hobby.  I'll consider making and eating food like this a step in the right direction.



Quinoa Casserole
Adapted from "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea

1-1/2 C. uncooked Quinoa
1 T. olive oil
3 C. chicken (or veggie) broth or stock
1/4 C. chopped or sliced almonds
3/4 C. dried cherries
2 1/2 C. diced chicken
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
several handfuls spinach or baby spinach
1 C. cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)
1/2 C. feta cheese

Rinse quinoa and add to slow cooker.  Drizzle olive oil over the top, then add the broth/stock, almonds cherries, chicken, cinnamon, salt and pepper.  Cook about 4-6 hours on low or 2-4 hours on high. If you can fluff it with a fork, and it is tender to bite, then the quinoa is done. 

Add the spinach, tomatoes and cheese to the top of the crock, close the lid and cook on high for about 20 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.  Stir to distribute ingredients and then enjoy! 

***Note: I added chicken to the recipe and served as a main dish casserole.  However, if you want to omit the chicken, it would also make a wonderful side dish to a roast, meatloaf, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment