Thursday, April 7, 2011

Moroccan Lentil Soup


I find food - cooking it, smelling it, eating it, taking pictures of it, writing about it, reading about it - fun and relaxing.  BUT, I'm also a busy mom. As much as I sometimes enjoy toiling away for hours over the perfect meal...I don't really get the chance to do that very often.  And when I do get the chance to toil away in the kitchen for hours, I think I'd actually prefer to be decorating sugar cookies, or cakes, or making cake-pops or something fun like that.   This is why I love my slow cooker.  And why I love this book. Written by this lady. 

And...why I love this soup:


**Note: this made a lot of soup, so we had left-overs.  When we went to indulge in the leftovers, we also had some left-over roast beef which I cut up and added to the soup.  LOVED it with this addition.  When I make this soup again, I will certainly be adding some beef.  Or maybe chicken.  Or maybe I'll get a little crazy and make it lamb.**

Moroccan Lentil Soup
(adapted from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Stephanie O'Dea)

2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1- 15oz can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)*
1 - 15oz can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)*
1 C. dried lentils
2-3 tsp. minced garlic
1-1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper -OR- about 1 Tbsp chili paste (a yummier option, if you have it)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp groun nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
8 C. vegetable broth (can substitute chicken or beef broth/stock)
1- 28oz can diced tomatoes (do NOT drain)
1 tsp. ground ginger


Add all ingredients to the slow cooker in the order given.  Give it a quick stir.  Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment