Monday, April 11, 2011

Oven Fries


Sometimes life gets busy.  We're trying to sell our house.  And by that, I mean that we've hired a realtor to try and sell our house.  I hear it said that the "market is picking up," but no one seems to want a beautiful century-old home with a large yard, trees, flowers, a gazebo even.  What is wrong with people?  Ok, I shouldn't complain.  The house has been on the market barely a month.  It still is kinda depressing.

I need to get back on track.  Selling the house means losing the majority of the past five Sundays to open houses.  Open houses, although they only technically last two hours in the afternoon, are a whole day affair at my house because first, we have to clean, and then my two-year-olds need to nap - and that is a long story but it means that we have to leave the house around 11:30am for a 2:00pm open house.

Sundays are typically the days where my husband I menu plan, grocery shop, and prep food for the coming weeks meals.  This is where life gets busy.

And sometimes when life gets busy I forget about having stuff ready for dinner.  And sometimes when I forget about having stuff for dinner, we eat cereal.  Or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  With a side of chips.


But sometimes when life gets busy and I forget to have stuff ready for dinner, I make these oven fries.  So quick and easy.  And so much better than chips or frozen fries from a bag.  And, I'm betting, so much better for you.



Oven Fries
Adjust this to use any quantity of potatoes.  You can also probably use any variety.  I used Russets this time, but have done it with red, Yukon Gold, even sweet.

Preheat oven to 375.

Clean 4 medium sized Russet potatoes.

Cut in half, then slice each half into quarters, making the pieces into wedges.

Put all of the slices into a large bowl and drizzle with about one tablespoon of olive oil.

Add:
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 t. garam masala*
1/2 t. alspice*
1/4 t. powdered garlic*

Stir well to evenly coat wedges

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.  Arrange the wedges in a single layer on the foil.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Flip (this can be a little tricky, sometimes they stick to the foil) wedges, then bake for another 10 minutes. 

I like mine extra crispy, so then I turn on the broiler for about 3 - 5 minutes for each side.  Only do this if you can keep a close eye on them.  They can go from perfect to burnt very quickly.  (You can see in my picture that a few of them were getting close to burnt on the edges...they were still good, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment