Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cheap Wine

When I was in college I drank bad beer.  I was cheap.  So cheap, in fact, that I rarely paid for my own beer.  Instead I relied on my charm and good looks.  Unfortunately, I only possessed enough charm and good looks to get me bad beer.  But, if you drank the first two quickly...then you hardly noticed that the beer was bad. 

I'm not promoting binge drinking.  I want that to be clear.  When I was in college, I was dumb.  I mean...I was smart...but when it came to choice of beverage consumption...there were times when I was dumb. Occasionally, when it came to quantity of beverages consumed...I was dumb.  But it was college.  It was ten years ago.  I've forgiven myself.  Get off my back.

These days all adult beverages are carefully consumed in responsible moderation.  When I drink, I drink good beer.  I drink good wine.  My husband says that he can tell how much he will like a wine by the degree to which it stains my teeth red.  In all honesty, I'm not sure what to make of that comment.

Good wine, however, is often expensive.  And with two young daughters in daycare I live on a bit of a budget.  I've recently stumbled upon a fairly decent wine with a fairly decent price tag. 



This wine usually goes on sale around Valentine's Day.  It's an interesting red wine.  Sweeter than most, not quite as robust.  Still fairly smooth.  It's almost a cross between a white and red.  If you are new to the wine scene and just beginning to dabble in reds...this would be a good one to start with. 

Oh, lets be honest...one of the biggest selling points of the wine is the lid.


(My dad would always say growing up: "You can tell how good a wine will be by how many times you have to turn the cap to unscrew it." Ha. ha. ha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment