Saturday, February 19, 2011

Homemade Waffles

The past week my family has been innundated with sickness.  As it slowly made its way through every member of the family, it left very little time for cooking.  Any and all plans for a Valentine's Day feast (romantic or family-friendly) went straight out the window, because, let's face it - sick just isn't sexy. We are just now getting back into the swing of things and I hope be making some new things to share this weekend.


The day before the illness struck, however, I made waffles for dinner.  Growing up, I never ate waffles.  If the rest of my family were eating them, I would get out the skillet and turn mine into pancakes.  It's true that to this day, I would probably prefer pancakes to waffles...but I'm not so much of a breakfast-food snob anymore.  My husband loves waffles, and I love my husband.  'Nuff said.


The night we had these for dinner, my sister came over to play with my girls.  She was very puzzled as to why on earth I would be taking pictures of waffles.  It is, of course, a very strange thing to do. 

These waffles are hearty, yet still light and airy.  I add enhancements to my flour to bump up the nutrients in things like waffles.  It only makes it better, I promise.  I'll get you some cookies or sugary sweets, and maybe a casserole or two later this weekend, but for now...eat waffles.



Homemade Waffles*
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Cookbook
*Note - this makes a lot of waffles.  I usually freeze about half of them and then reheat in the toaster as needed - FAR better than Eggos.

3 C. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 C. old-fashioned oats (quick oats will substitute just fine, though)
4 eggs, separated
2 C. + 2 T. buttermilk (or, put slightly more than 2 T. of vinegar or lemon juice in a 2 C. measuring 
                                    cup, fill the rest with milk and let sit for about 5 - 10 minutes)
1/2 C. applesauce
1 t. vanilla extract
1 recipe maple syrup (see below)

Combine four, baking powder and salt.  Separately, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla and applesauce.  Stir wet ingredients into the dry just until moistened.  The batter will be lumpy.

In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold into batter.  Bake in waffle iron according to manufacturers directions.  I usually spray the iron with cooking spray before baking - just to be safe.

Top waffles with homemade syrup:
1 C. water
1 C. white sugar
1 C. brown sugar
1 t. maple flavoring

In a small saucepan, heat first three ingredients to boiling - stirring often.  Remove from heat and add the maple flavoring.  Stir well. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment