Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Easy Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas


If you've spent any time at all in New Mexico, I'm sure you have developed a fondness for the green chili.  New Mexicans use this vegetable for the primary condiment and garnish for just about every dish imaginable.   I don't have scientific polling data to back this...but I'm pretty sure the most commonly ordered pizza topping combo is pepperoni and green chili.  Go to any burger place - even the major nation-wide chains - and you can order a green chili cheeseburger (always a crowd-pleaser).  Another fantastic option would be green chili cheese fries.  Or how about some green chili and pork stew?  Or just getting back to basics with some green chili pinto beans?

Mmmmmm.  All this talk is making me long for my youth (I spent years 6 through 18 living - and of course eating - there).

Maybe I don't really long for my youth (who wants to relive middle school? Not this girl!), but my mouth is watering for green chili goodness.

Let's try these fantastic layered enchiladas.  I originally go the recipe from an old Country Woman magazine years ago.  This was the winning recipe one year (no idea which year...but it was a while ago) at the Hatch Green Chili Festival.  I've revamped it a bit, though, to make it a bit practical for a weeknight supper - meaning I cut out a few time consuming steps and replaced that with some convenience items.



Next time I make this I think I will try replacing the evaporated milk with pureed cauliflower.  I've done that in a couple other recipes and it has only made them better (crazy, I know!).  When I try it, I'll let you know how it goes.  Or, you try it and get back to me.

Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 C. sour cream
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 t. black pepper
dash salt
1 t. cumin
1 t. cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
1/2 C. chopped onion (or 1/4 C. dried minced onion)
2 cans chopped green chilies
3/4 lb. chicken (cooked and shredded or cubed)*
10 tostada shells
2-1/2 C. shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, etc)

In a mixing bowl, mix soup, milk, sour cream, onion, chilies, onion, chicken and spices. 

Place 2 tostada shells in a greased 2 quart baking dish.  Spread with 3/4 C. chicken mixture, layer with 1/2 C. cheese.  Repeat layers four times.

Cover and bake at 400, 20 minutes.  Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer, or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment