Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pudding Poke Cake



When I told my husband my plans for this dessert, he was not looking forward to it.  He thought - a cake without buttercream frosting?  Why bother?

Why bother?? Because this is SO MUCH EASIER!  Because (when we made it) it was 95 degrees outside!  Because it is DELICIOUS!

And after trying a piece (and then another)...he agreed.  It was worth the trouble (which was not much), and it was a nice change of pace.

My mom has made this cake for years, and I'm guessing that it is a recipe that is all over the place, although my mom is the only person (other than me) that I know who has made it (or at least who has made it and had me try it or told me about it...maybe everyone makes this cake and I'm just out of the loop).

So easy: start with your favorite white or yellow cake.  I used the white cake recipe from the red & white checkered Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  That's my favorite...but a white or yellow cake mix works, too.


(I actually made this in early August, right before moving.  All my cake pans were packed except these - so I made it in two 8-inch sorta-round pans.  I would usually make it in a 9x13 pan.)

After the cake is completely cooled, poke holes all over the cake with the end of a wooden spoon.  Make sure the holes go all the way to the bottom of the pan.  I dipped the end of the spoon in flour so that the crumbs wouldn't stick to it.



Now, quick whip up a regular-sized box of chocolate (or your preferred flavor) instant pudding.  Don't let it sit as it sets up quickly, and pour over cake, taking care to fill all the holes, then cover the top and spread to frost.



Chill for about an hour to make sure that the pudding is set, and then enjoy!  Store any leftovers in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment