Saturday, September 10, 2011

Quick Hint: Homemade Taco Seasoning

I'm a big fan of meat flavored with taco seasoning.  Ground beef, chicken, turkey, and pork.  Shredded beef, chicken, turkey, and pork.  Beans. - any variety. 

I'm not, however, a big fan of store-bought, packaged taco seasoning.  I don't care for the fake-y flavor and the incredible amount of sodium.  Ick. 

So, I make my own.  The recipe below is for the equivalent to one packet.  It makes about 3-1/2 Tbsp. of seasoning.  When I make it, I usually multiply everything by 8 or so and then store it in a large container (I have repurposed a container that once held coffee creamer) to use whenever I need it.  I've found that making as much ahead of time as possible is so much more convenient in the long run.



Taco Seasoning

4 tsp. dried minced onion
3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. corn starch
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Mix it all together.  When ready to use, mix 3-1/2 Tbsp with 1/4 cup water and add to 1 lb. of meat.  Stir in and simmer until liquid evaporates and meat is seasoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment