Thursday, September 15, 2011

Quick Hint: Too Much Cake

We have a small family.  As much as we love cake, sometimes we can't eat it all before it starts to go stale.  I've devised a plan for this - a plan that is working out pretty well for us so far.

When making a batch of cupcakes that will be just for the family, I'll use some of the batter to make one layer of a 6-inch cake.  Once it has cooled, I'll wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze.

If I'm making a cake that will be just for the family, sometimes I will make three 6-inch layers instead of two 8- or 9-inch layers.  I'll use two of those 6-inch layers to make the initial cake, and freeze the other one (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap). 

When making frosting, I'll sometimes make up an extra batch and freeze it. 

Then...when the mood for strikes, but the desire to bake just isn't quite there, I'll grab a couple of those frozen cake layers and some frosting and viola - almost instant dessert!

For fun...mix and match cake layers - like this one that is one layer of white cake, and one of chocolate.



**Just a note: One leftover, 15 oz buttertub (washed, of course) packed full of frosting and frozen is perfect for a two-layer, 6-inch cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment